Probably the best colonial hotel in the world. Everything about this place was perfectly calm and cool
Theresa 41 yrs, London, Read 0 reviews »
Galle, Sri Lanka
- Surrounded by lush gardens within the walls of Galle Fort
- Set right in the heart of a 16th Century UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Beautifully styled with period furniture, crisp white linen and antique silverware
Facilities includeAir Conditioning WIFI Air Conditioning Swimming Pool Spa Diving Room Service Restaurant Bar/Lounge
- Galle Fort
- Jungle Yoga
- Cookery Class
- Whale Watching
- Deep Sea Fishing
- Market excursion
- Yatagala Rock Temple
- Handunugoda Tea Plantation
- Galle International Cricket
Seasons in Sri Lanka
The colonial-style Amangalla offers its guests the most refined accommodation in Galle. It consists of a collection of buildings dating back over 400 years, once used as an HQ for a Dutch commander and his officers in the 17th Century and later as a billet for British soldiers. As a hotel, it offers excellent old-world luxury, superb food, arguably the best spa on the island and exceptional service.
Outside the hotel there are numerous sights and activities to explore. Right on your doorstep is the UNESCO World Heritage site of Galle Fort, whose treasure trove of colonial antiquities, shops and cafes are all easily explored on foot, either on your own or with an informative local guide provided by Amangalla. There are also whale watching cruises, guided bike tours, jungle yoga classes from one of the most serene spots on the island and private walks through a lowland tea plantation. Amangalla can also organise cookery classes with Chef Jonathan who will take you around the Galle food markets beforehand.
Amangalla takes pride of place within the ramparts of the 17C Galle Fort.
How to get there
The journey from Colombo's International Airport will take about 2.5 hours - or take the Air Taxi and fly to Koggala, which is a 25-minute drive to the hotel. There is also a heliport nearby.
When to go
Travelling with children
Make an enquiry
Contact us for your truly bespoke itinerary
What happens next?
- One of our experts will reply to you within 12 hours.
- We will customise your requirements with the help of our true expert knowledge.
- We will create the best experience possible at a truly transparent price.