Just spent a magical week at Rocktail Bay Beach Lodge, our fourth trip in as many years. This is a fantastic 'get away from the crowds' spot with pristine beaches and probably one of the premier dive operations in South Africa.
Mike 56 yrs, South Africa, Read 3 reviews »
Maputaland Marine Reserve , South Africa
Rocktail Beach Camp
- One of the best places in the world for scuba diving and snorkelling
- The pristine golden beaches are a perfect family playground
- During summer, sea turtles come ashore at night to lay their eggs in the sand
Facilities includeChild Friendly Swimming pool Restaurant Bar Family Tent
- Boat trip
- PADI course
- Scuba diving
- Turtle dives
- Walking safari
- Boating safari
- Children's activites
- Visit the local village
Seasons in South Africa
About Rocktail Beach Camp
Rocktail Beach Camp, set well back in a lush dune forest, has 17 en-suite rooms, seven of which are family suites each with a shared bathroom and two bedrooms, and one being a honeymoon suite. There is a central dining and lounge area with large wrap-around veranda and a raised deck, with wide views extending out to the ocean. A large pool, curio shop and children’s playroom complete the main area. The waters of the Maputaland Marine Reserve and an endless beach lie at the end of a 20-minute walk through the forest.
World-class diving is conducted along coral reefs accessible only to Rocktail guests. Other adventures include birding, swimming and walking in the forest and along a 40 km golden beach. Excursions are available (at extra cost) to Lake Sibaya, the surrounding community and Gugulesizwe, a joint venture between Wilderness Safaris and the community, where quad biking is on offer. During summer guests can accompany nightly research drives to monitor turtle nesting numbers and behaviour. The sight of a 750 kg leatherback turtle heaving herself up the beach to lay eggs is a once-in-a-lifetime spectacle.
Rocktail Beach Camp - Standard Tents
There are ten standard tents which are made up of five twin bedded tents, four double bedded tents and one double bedded honeymoon suite.
Rocktail Beach Camp - Family Tents
There are seven family tents with one double bed and two three-quarter beds in an adjoining room. Each family room can accommodate two adults and two children. Each family tent shares a bathroom.
Rocktail Beach Camp - Honeymoon Tent
The honeymoon unit has a wonderful view over the ocean and dune forest.
All 17 rooms have en-suite bathrooms, open-feel indoor shower and overhead fans
How to get there
When to go
Accommodation, breakfast, dinner, scheduled transfers between the camp and Coastal Cashews, 14% VAT and Satour Tourism Levy - excludes all drinks, laundry and
park fees and Lunch.
Self-drive guests with their own 4x4 vehicles may drive directly into Rocktail Camp. Guests travelling in 2x4 vehicles however, must make use of our transfers to/from camp, utilising
Coastal Cashews as the pick-up and drop-off point. There is no extra charge if scheduled transfers are booked more than 72 hours in advance.
• From Coastal Cashews (Manzengwenya) to the camp at 10:30, 13:00 and 15:00 daily.
• From the camp to Coastal Cashews (Manzengwenya) at 09:30, 13:00 and 15:00 daily.
9. Any transfers outside of these times or guests arriving without a confirmed Coastal Cashews scheduled transfer booked at least 72 hours prior to travel, will be charged the private transfer
fee direct at camp should a pick-up and drop-off be required
ROCKTAIL CAMP TRANSFERS
1. Rocktail Camp offers road transfers to / from Richards Bay Airport on a scheduled seat-in-vehicle rate (minimum 2, maximum 6), drive time is approximately 3.5 - 4 hours each way and
arrive / departure times are as follows:
a. Pick-up Richards Bay Airport at 15:00
b. Drop-off Richards Bay Airport at 13:30
c. Departing Rocktail Camp / Coastal Cashews at 09:30
The Rocktail Dive Centre has 2 boats from which to launch divers and each seats 10 guests. Activities on offer include scuba diving, snorkelling and an Ocean Experience boat trip.
Equipment can be hired directly from The Rocktail Dive Centre.
Turtle drives are offered at Rocktail Camp between 15 October and 15 March each year.
Travelling with children
Make an enquiry
Contact us for your truly bespoke itinerary
What happens next?
- One of our experts will reply to you within 12 hours.
- We will customise your requirements with the help of our true expert knowledge.
- We will create the best experience possible at a truly transparent price.