Tailor-made Luxury Holidays
Our South Africa Expert
I love the diversity the country offers, world class wines, food that competes on an international scale and gameviewing that keeps you coming back for more. The rainbow nation has it all!Contact Peter
My recent trip in South Africa
South Africa Highlights
Kruger National Park
The Kruger National Park and Greater Kruger ecosystem is South Africa’s most famous safari export and possibly the best known big game safari area in Africa. The location for any visitor in search of guaranteed sightings of Africa’s iconic wildlife, the Kruger is a wonderful destination with accommodation to suit most styles and budgets. True Luxury Travel particularly like the carefully controlled private reserves which form part of this vast protected area – the Timbavati and Sabi Sands Game Reserves are home to wonderful wildlife, great guides and luxury lodges. Our True Luxury Travel specialists have a wealth of experience of South African safari. We have guided, managed and constructed lodges across South Africa, as well as been fortunate enough to experience safari from the Kalahari to the Kruger, Madikwe to the Eastern Cape, the Karoo to KwaZulu Natal. Each of these different safari areas has certain highlights we would love to talk you through. While the Greater Kruger is South Africa’s most visited safari destination, it is important to remember that, although low-risk, this is a malarial destination. For families or those looking to avoid these areas the Madikwe, Waterberg, Kalahari and Eastern Cape are all fantastic options to consider.
Stellenbosch and Franschhoek
Stellenbosch is located in South Africa's Western Cape, and is surrounded by the vineyards of the Cape Winelands. The town is characterised by Dutch architecture giving it a strong sense of South Africa's Dutch colonial history. The town is famous primarily for its wine farms that lie within beautiful surroundings. Visitors to the area can enjoy wine tastings of South Africa's finest wines, as well as enjoying delicious local food at its restaurants and enchanting street cafes. Franschhoek is located to the West of Stellenbosch . It is made up of old vineyards and strong French influences from its early French settlers. It is also well known for its breathtaking scenery and warm hospitality. The town is one of the oldest in South Africa and is situated about 75 kilometres from Cape Town.
An unbeatable balance of exquisite natural beauty and year-round activities make Cape Town an easy city to fall in love with. Awash with variety, from sandy beaches to mountain hiking trails, national parks to vibrant shopping areas. First-class restaurants, interesting galleries and luxury boutique hotels. Cape Town will appeal to just about anyone in the mood for a holiday. It’s a perfect stop for honeymooners, families and adventure lovers.
Johannesburg is a vibrant and exciting city with some of the best art, shopping and restaurants on offer. With a diverse cultural and entertainment scene, Johannesburg has a number of great natural and heritage attractions that are well worth visiting; the Cradle of Humankind and Apartheid Museum are just two highlights. Johannesburg is also the hub of Southern Africa and a springboard for you to combine with other holiday destinations such as Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Mozambique. The Oliver Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg is also the main airport in South Africa for connections to Seychelles, Mauritius and other destinations.
Madikwe Game Reserve
Madikwe Game Reserve is an increasingly popular malaria free safari destination in South Africa. With it's huge variety of top class accommodation and large numbers of Big Five game, this Reserve has grown in popularity in the past five years with domestic and international travellers alike.
The Waterberg is one of the 5 districts of Limpopo province of South Africa. It is a mountainous region of spectacular scenery and wildlife. The majority of South Africa's best features are showcased in this region, from scenic mountains to a big five game viewing and a rich archeological and biological diversity.
Take a step back in time with a visit to Rorke's Drift, the hub of the Battlefields in the centre of the actions of the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. The Zulu War of 1879 is famous throughout the English-speaking world for the great battles of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift. Led by the finest guides in South Africa, thought-provoking and often emotionally charged tours are conducted daily to Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift. Walks and horserides through the reserve to view abundant game and birdlife are offered as well as fishing the 20km frontage on the Buffalo River.
The Garden Route is a stretch of the south-eastern coast of South Africa which extends from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape to the Storms River in the Eastern Cape. While the Garden Route road itself is extremely scenic, it is the hidden destinations on its side roads that are the real gems of this region. The Garden Route is also famous for its delightful smelling fynbos floral kingdom, its secluded little bays and its year-round holiday frame of mind, not to mention it's conveniently accessible from Cape Town. The towns in this area that are worth a visit include Calitzdorp, Sedgefield, The Wilderness, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay.
The Eastern Cape sits on the south-eastern South African coast and is a region of great natural beauty, particularly the rugged cliffs, rough seas and dense green bush of the stretch known as the Wild Coast. The province's diverse climates and landscapes range from the dry and desolate Great Karoo to the lush forests of the Wild Coast and the Keiskamma Valley, the fertile Langkloof, renowned for its rich apple harvests, and the mountainous southern Drakensberg region around the town of Elliot.
How to Explore South Africa
These itineraries cover routes and places that are particularly popular with our guests and are designed to inspire. Every single trip we create is tailor-made and highly personalised to meet your specific requirements.
Cape Town and Kruger escape
- One of the worlds most iconic cities, surrounded by mountains & wineyards, Cape Town. Followed by a big 5 Safari in the Kruger.
- 10 nights from £3,000 per person including flights, transfers and accomodation
- Cape Town, Winelands & Kruger National Park
South Africa's Garden Route
- An exquisite self drive, tailor made route involving, Cape Town, Winelands, Route 62, Knysna and Plettenburg bay with a Safari.
- From £3,450 per person including car hire, flights and accommodation.
- Hike Table Mountain, wine tasting, watch whales, walk beaches and forest trails ending with a Safari.
Explore Zulu Land
- A combination of history, Safari and Beach. Learn the stories of the Zulu Wars, walk in the path of hero's, spot birds & the big 5 in one of the most diverse corners of the country. Explore hidden beaches surrounded by forests.
- 14 nights from £4,200pp including internal flights and transfers.
- Drakensburg hikes, heroic stories from the Zulu wars and safari on private reserves ending on remote unspoilt beaches.
Family safari- Malaria Free
- Luxury triple safari incorporating horse riding, hiking in the Waterberg, the big 5 & more at Madikwe. Each region offers unique experiences and incredible scenery to complement the gameviewing.
- 12 night Safari from £4,900 per person including flights, transfers and Accomodation
- 3 unique destinations, Waterberg, Marakele National Park and Madikwe
Kruger and Mozambique
- Private game reserves, combined with Indian ocean Islands. Explore the Kruger with the best guides in the region and enjoy starlit barefoot dinners on the beaches.
- 10 nights from £6,000pp including internal flights and transfers and accomodation.
- Sabi Sands or Timbavati combined with helicopter transfers and tranquil beaches.
Malaria Free Safari & Mauritius Honeymoon
- Malaria free big five safari, with walking and night drives followed by a week in Mauritius soaking up the sun .
- 12 nights from £3,500 per person including flights, transfers and accomodation
- Madikwe & Mauritius, unique safari experiences combined with stunning palm fringed beaches. This blend of countries and cultures is a foodies delight
Where To Stay in South Africa
Explore some of our highly recommended lodges within our South Africa luxury travel collection.