Sri Lanka Family
Tailor-made Luxury Holidays
Our Sri Lanka Family Expert
Our Sri Lanka expert loves how diverse the country is. There's something for absolutely everyone. From palm fringed beaches, rich tea country, world heritage sites and wildlife.Contact Katie
My recent trip in Sri Lanka
Why is Sri Lanka for a family?
Advice from our Sri Lanka expert to ensure you take a logical route and stop at suitable lodges that the whole family will enjoy
Shortlist Sri Lanka for Families
Sri Lanka is likely to be on a shortlist for a family holiday. Within a mere area of 65,610 kilometres lie 1,330 kilometres of coastline, 15 national parks showcasing an abundance of wildlife and nearly 500,000 acres of lush tea estates. The coastline varies considerably but families can enjoy quality time together in Villa's and hotels on safe swimming beaches. With a number of National Parks, there are lodges that suit varying budgets and offer the variety of animal sightings a family would be after. What's brilliant about Sri Lanka is the ability to be able to combine great experiences that are so different from each other but complement each other so well.
Sri Lanka's Beaches
Sri Lanka's west coast covers the coastal strip just south of Colombo all the way down to Hikkaduwa. The main attractions are its tropical beaches and lagoons lined with mangroves. We will advise families about the best swimming beaches, surfing beaches and exclusive villa options. The west coast also offers guests a vibrant cultural heritage including folklore, music and dance as well as architectural influences from the Dutch period. Many temples, kovils, churches and mosques are situated along the coast, and cottage industries such as basket-weaving, mask-carving and antique restoration provide for interesting shopping. Many families have varying energy levels, it's good to have so many activities on offer.
Enjoy surfing or whale watching in Mirissa, scuba diving in Dickwella and even a Turtle Night Safari in Rekura, and cultural tours and cycling in Galle.
Rich history and Cultural Triangle
The Cultural Triangle is found on Sri Lanka's central plains and encompasses the cities and towns of Kandy, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, and Dambulla. The area boasts ruined temples, ancient cities, national parks and glistening reservoirs. Highlights of this fascinating area include the striking rock fortress of Sigiriya which families enjoy climbing.
Kandy's pleasant temperate climate, its scenic location and it's rich history have made it a favourite destination among our families with many family-friendly hotels around too.
Suggested itineraries for your family holiday
An outline of our favourite combinations
Family Villa Holiday
- The villas of southern Sri Lanka are some of the best private properties in the Indian Ocean, beautiful accommodation, interconnecting rooms, lots of activities nearby and faultless hosting.
- From £5,000 per week based on 4 adults and 4 Children sharing a luxury villa on a villa only basis.
- Colombo and Galle Region
Family Adventure , Tea Country, Yala and Beach
- Enjoy family time trekking in the plantations, Leopard safari's and a quiet villa close to Tangalle on Sri Lanka's South coast.
- From £8,000 for 10 days based on 2 adults and 2 children on a Full Board Basis
- Hatton, Yala National Park, Tangalle
Family Culture and Adventure
- Climb Sigiriya Rock Fortress, enjoy game drives in Kaudulla and Minneriya National Park in the evenings. In Hatton region, there's white Water Rafting and the possibility of trekking Adams Peak.
- From £4,000 per person for 8 nights inclusive of flights, accommodation and activities
- Sigiriya, Hatton and Colombo
Sri Lanka holiday Highlights
Showcasing the diversity of Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is the 4th largest producer of tea worldwide and the tea drinking culture on the island remains strong.
South Coast Beaches
The south coast of Sri Lanka is made up of coral-protected bays, tropical sandy beaches and rural fishing villages.
The area, now a protected UNESCO World Heritage site, boasts ruined temples, ancient cities, national parks and glistening reservoirs.