Tailor-made Luxury Holidays
Our Botswana Family Expert
Botswana is a fantastic place to enjoy a family safari. On safari, look out for incredible wildlife along with a wide variety of exciting activities.Contact Peter
My recent trip in Botswana
What makes Botswana the perfect family destination...
Advice from our Africa experts on choosing the right destination for your family
Why Botswana for your Family Safari
It is easy to understand why Botswana would be high on a shortlist for a family safari. This large country in Southern Africa quite rightly has a claim to being Africa’s premier big game safari destination. It is blessed with a wide variety of different habitats and landscapes, all home to fantastic wildlife and offering visitors a great range of activity options. In addition to this Botswana is easily accessed with multiple connecting flights linking the busy international hub of Johannesburg. Getting around the country is also easy with regular scheduled charter flights servicing bush airstrips across the safari regions in the north of the country.
For families Botswana also makes a lot of sense as the school Summer holidays fall right across the peak safari months. Travel between June and September offers cool and clear nights with blue skies and comfortable temperatures in the day. This season is the dry season and the lack of any rains means flying insects are kept to a minimum. Visitors are not required to travel with yellow fever certificates and much of the country is also malarial free. Additionally, a stable political situation and a government committed to sustainable tourism and great conservation practice is something which understandably appeals to parents when considering a safari destination for their children. It is important to note that families visiting Botswana with children under 18 years old must travel with unabridged birth certificates for immigration reasons.
Choosing a location
The safari experience varies hugely depending on the location you choose, one of a number of reasons why a Botswana safari is often best experienced over multiple different locations. Combining the Okavango with the Kalahari or Makgadikgadi Salt Pans offers incredible variety, it’s always best to speak to your experienced consultant at True Luxury Travel to guide you in what would be the best location for your family. An important consideration is the age of your children as some locations and lodges have a minimum age limit on game drives, whereas in other locations the activities can be particularly tailored to families in a way not seen in neighbouring countries.
Botswana's position in the heart of southern Africa also makes it well placed to combine with other countries in the region. Direct flights from Cape Town to Maun are very popular as are the flights down to Johannesburg which provide access out to the coast and the Indian Ocean. Closer to the safari areas, it's only a short hop across to Zimbabwe or Zambia to access the spectacular Victoria Falls.
A range of activities and experiences
Botswana is not all about the big game. One of the joys of a safari here is the variety of activities - key for keeping children and their parents enthused and entertained when in the bush. Of course the game viewing is phenomenal, but the opportunities for walking, boating, canoe trips, scenic flights, sleep-outs and wild-swimming are endless. In addition to this, if you are more adventurous and experience, the riding safaris in Botswana are amongst the best in on Earth.
Suggested itineraries for your family safari
An outline of our favourite combinations
- Explore Botswana's Highlights, including the Makgadikgadi's salty wilderness, the Vumbura Plains in the Okavango Delta & the vast floodplains of the Linyanti at Zarafa Camp.
- From £8,700 per person, based on two sharing for 9 nights. Fully inclusive throughout, all meals, drinks, safari activities and domestic bush flights included.
- Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, Okavango Delta and the Linyanti
HIGHLIGHTS OF SOUTHERN AFRICA
- Experience South Africa with some of the best guides in Africa, whilst enjoying incredible wildlife, diverse activities & Spectacular Scenery. Three key locations in one easy holiday.
- From £4,700 per person, based on two sharing for 12 nights. Fully inclusive on safari all meals, drinks, safari activities and regional flights.
- Kruger National Park, Victoria Falls, Okavango and Cape Town
CAPE TOWN, OKAVANGO & VICTORIA FALLS
- Experience Victoria Falls, the Okavango Delta & Cape Town throughout 3 Southern African countries at any time of the year.
- From £2,750 per person, based on two sharing for a 10 day holiday across southern Africa. Fully inclusive on safari, all meals, drinks, safari activities and domestic bush flights included. Bed & Breakfast in Cape Town and Victoria Falls.
- Cape Town - Camps Bay, Okavango - Chief's Island and the Upper Zambezi - Victoria Falls
Botswanas safari highlights
Showcasing the diversity of Botswana
One of Africa’s most iconic safari areas. A phenomenon of nature, known for it's sprawling grassy plains, which flood seasonally becoming a lush animal habitat.
Central Kalahari Reserve
One of Africa's great grasslands, home to a surprising volume and variety of wildlife. It is the second largest game reserve in the world. The nomadic San people inhabit these beautiful lands.
Chobe National Park
A vast area of interlinked wilderness corridors which act as protected migratory routes for huge herds of elephant.
A salt pan system the size of Switzerland, bordered by an expanse of acacia woodland, home to incredible fauna and flora